When do you need a roadworthy certificate?

Roadworthy Certs

There a several circumstances where Queensland laws require you to have a roadworthy certificate.

If you plan on selling a registered light vehicle in Queensland or if you are going to transfer a registration to a new owner, you must have a current roadworthy certificate.

If you are transferring the registration of a vehicle to Queensland from another state or territory in Australia, you must have a roadworthy certificate.

Re-registering an unregistered vehicle also requires a roadworthy certificate.

Cars, motorcycles, trailers, caravans and vehicles with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) over 4,500kg all require road worthy certificates.

What does a roadworthy certificate cover?

The main areas of a vehicle that must be checked are tyres, brakes, steering, suspension, windscreen and lights. The vehicle’s body also must be checked for rust and damage. A roadworthy certificate does not indicate that vehicle is mechanically sound, it is simply a certificate that indicates that the vehicle meets the required safety standards for Queensland roads.

To pass a roadworthy test it is important that the wheels and tyres on your vehicle are suited to the load capacity and speed rating of the vehicle. The wheels on a vehicle must be an approved construction type and there mustn’t be any missing or broken wheel mounting nuts, studs or bolts. Tyres must have a safe depth of tread, correct speed rating and be compatible to the wheel they’re fitted to.

If you’re on the Gold Coast and need to get road worthy certificate, drop in and see us at Bundall Tyres. Located at 47 Upton St, we service those in Bundall and the surrounding areas, including Southport, Ashmore, Molendinar, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach .